PLEASE NOTE: Like other programs across the country, we will not be accepting medical students for away rotations at our sites, and our residency interview season this year will be all virtual. We understand that this may pose specific concerns for some applicants, and anyone with questions should feel free to reach out to our Program Coordinator, at [email protected] The information below pertains to normal, non-COVID, operations only.
Thank you for your interest in our program! All visiting elective rotations are scheduled through the University of Washington website.
Gayle Schneider, phone (206) 744-3443, email [email protected], is the clerkship administrator and contact for those interested in rotating through UW Boise Psychiatry Residency Program.
Please note that we use the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) for applications, and clerkship dates must follow the UW clinical schedule .
PBSCI 672 P – Elective Clerkship in Primary Care Psychiatry at Boise VAMC
- Students will learn about the assessment and treatment of patients with acute psychiatric problems in a primary care/rural setting.
- Students learn how to provide consultation for general medicine and surgery settings.
- Students will learn how to asses and deal with outpatient psychiatric problems as they initially present.
- Students will learn evaluation techniques.
- Students will learn crisis intervention strategies.
- Students will learn psychopharmacology.
- Students will learn brief therapies.
Opportunities to participate in satellite clinics in rural areas and Indian Health Service. Other participation negotiable depending on interest and experience.
Conferences: Clinical care conferences.
Presentations: Presentation of a specific clinical area to the treatment team is an option.
The Care of the Psychiatric Patient, Richard J. Goldberg, M.D., 2nd edition, 1998.
Evaluation: Evaluation of student is mainly by attending with input from other staff. Same general form as for psychiatry clerkships.
Other: Student is responsible for providing their own housing and vehicle.
Offered: AWSpS; 4 weeks
Prerequisite: Psychiatry core clerkship.
Total Enrollment: 1 ; open to visiting students interested in the Boise Psych Residency Prog.
Faculty Contact: Dr. Paul Borghesani
Clerkship Administrator: Gayle Schneider; (206) 744-3443; [email protected]
Clerkship Site: Boise, ID